Black Bean + Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Not Just Pesto
We like to use the Not Just Pesto in our turkey burger mixture as well as in the mayo for an extra flavor boost. Serve on buns or in lettuce wraps and dress them up with avocado, sliced cucumber, and sprouts.
1 medium sweet potato, peeled, and cut into ½ inch pieces (about 3 cups)
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
¾ cup cooked quinoa, or ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
⅓ cup plus 3 Tbsp not just pesto
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
½ cup mayo, yogurt, or sour cream
Sliced avocado, sliced cucumber, sprouts, lettuce wraps, or buns to serve
Preheat the oven to 450 and line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Place the sweet potato on the prepared sheet tray, toss with the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and roast for about 15 minutes until tender.
- Once tender, add the sweet potato and black beans to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher, or fork. Add the quinoa or breadcrumbs, beaten egg, ⅓ cup pesto, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cumin, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder to the bowl, and stir to fully combine.
- Form into 4 equal patties and place on a plate. Let firm up in the fridge for at least one hour or overnight.
- Once the patties have firmed in the fridge, preheat the oven to 400, mist the previously used sheet tray with cooking spray and carefully place them on the tray. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 3 tablespoons pesto and mayo to a medium bowl, whisk to combine.
- Serve the burgers in a lettuce wrap or bun with sliced cucumber, sliced avocado, sprouts, and the pesto mayo