tuscan white bean soup
This hearty, filling, and warming soup is exactly what you need this fall. Be sure to not add the spinach or kale until you plan on serving the soup as it will not hold as well in the fridge/freezer.
1 tablespoon evoo
1 12 oz pack of your favorite cooked chicken sausage links (halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
¼ - ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
6 cups chicken broth
1 16 oz jar not just pasta sauce
2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 sprig rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 parmesan rind, plus shaved parm to serve
2 cups coarsely chopped spinach or kale
- In a large dutch oven over medium-high, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Saute the sausage until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To the remaining oil in the pot, add the onion, carrot, and celery, and cook over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, not just pasta sauce, beans, rosemary, bay leaf, and parm rind and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove a cup of the beans and add to a blender with a bit of the stock. blend until smooth. Add back to the soup (to help thicken the broth slightly) and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove bay, rosemary, and parm rind. Add spinach or kale and stir until wilted. serve with shaved parmesan.