Brunch, lunch, or anytime.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 to 2 tablespoons harissa
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 jar not just pasta sauce
salt and pepper
6 large eggs
handful of minced cilantro, parsley or both
crumbled feta or sliced oil-cured black olives, for serving (optional)
crusty bread, to serve
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. add the peppers and cook, undisturbed, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic, harissa, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. add sauce and season with salt and pepper.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer sauce until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. using a small spoon, make a well in the sauce and crack one egg into well. continue with remaining eggs and season tops of eggs with salt. spoon a little sauce over the edges of the whites to partially cover them, leaving yolks exposed.
4. Cover and cook, simmering very gently and reducing heat if necessary, until whites are set and yolks are still runny, about 10 minutes. continue basting the egg whites with sauce as they cook.
5. Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley and the optional toppings. serve with crusty bread.