mini grilled cheese bites with not just pasta sauce
a snackable riff on the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup. no need to add butter to the pan before cooking the grilled cheeses, the teaspoon of mayo on each slice of bread allows the bread to brown slowly and evenly.
1 jar not just pasta sauce
4 slices of sourdough bread
4 teaspoons mayo, divided
1.5 oz sharp white cheddar cheese (about 3 slices)
1.5 oz provolone cheese (about 3 slices)
olive oil, for serving
flaky sea salt, (such as maldon) for serving
1. add the not just pasta sauce to a blender and puree until smooth, about 30 seconds.
2. reserve two tablespoons and set aside. pour the remaining sauce into a small sauce-pan and heat over low until beginning to simmer, about 10 minutes.
3. meanwhile, place all four pieces of bread on a cutting board and slather with 1 teaspoon of mayo each (this is key to even browning). flip two over and spread with the reserved tomato puree.
4. in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, place 2 slices of bread, mayo side down, and add three slices of mixed cheese to each. top with the remaining slices of bread, puree side down, and cook until the bottom side is golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. carefully flip the sandwich and cook for another 3-5 minutes, lightly pressing down on the sandwich occasionally to ensure even browning.
5. transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut each into 6 even triangles, place on a platter and sprinkle with sea salt. pour the tomato puree into small bowl for dipping and drizzle with olive oil.