A super-satisfying all-of-the-veggies bowl. We make ours with pasta, and white beans.
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more to serve
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
kosher salt and ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
1 jar not just pasta sauce
1 ½ quart chicken stock (veggie stock, or water if vegetarian)
1 parmesan rind, plus shaved parmesan to serve
1 cup chopped green beans (½ inch pieces)
1 cup dried pasta
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups baby spinach
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, plus more to taste
torn basil, to serve
1. In a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering.
2. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, and 2 bay leaves, cook until softened, about 7-10 minutes.
3. Stir in not just pasta sauce, scraping up any brown bits at the bottom of the pot, chicken stock, and parm rind, bring to a boil.
4. Add the green beans, pasta, and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook, maintaining a steady simmer, until the beans are tender and the pasta is al dente, 8-10 minutes, adding the cannellini beans and peas halfway through.
5. Stir in the spinach until wilted and add the red wine vinegar.
6. Season to taste and garnish with freshly torn basil, grated parmesan, and drizzle with olive oil.